Smart Change – Strengthening Urban Governance, Prosperity and Innovation in Jakarta
Berlin and Jakarta are teaming up to foster innovative solutions for sustainability in growing cities – thereby turning over a new leaf in their urban partnership cooperation.
The “Smart Change” project focuses on two areas: On the one hand, the further development of the city administration's innovation strategy and the strengthening of international networking and, on the other hand, the establishment of a sustainable support system for start-ups in the field of innovation and Smart City (entrepreneurship ecosystem).
In addition, the project provides impetus for increased cooperation between city administrations in the global South in order to promote the exchange of good practice and thus sustainability throughout the entire region. Berlin and Jakarta are also working together with Bangkok on the project.
- Establishment of a multi-stakeholder lab for networking actors from politics, administration, business, science and civil society
- Working groups, consultations, training courses and study visits on good practice on innovation topics such as e-government and smart cities as well as on instruments for the promotion of start-ups in Berlin, Jakarta and Bangkok
- Establishment of an online platform to strengthen dialogue, exchange and mutual learning
- Further development of the Smart City strategy for urban innovation in Jakarta, with an action plan for implementation (sustainable mobility, environment, resource efficiency, digital services, etc.)
- Establishment of an innovation hub and initiation of an accelerator programme in Jakarta as a development area for a start-up community and a start-up-friendly ecosystem
- Training and certification of support organisations for start-ups in Jakarta
- Development of a strategy to promote a founder-friendly policy for the city of Jakarta with an action plan for implementation
Indonesia, Thailand, Germany
Lead Partner: State of Berlin, Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Public Enterprises
Coordination: BGZ Berliner Gesellschaft
für internationale Zusammenarbeit mbH
Provincial Government of Special Area of
Jakarta Capital City
Team Smart Change
Phone: +49 30 809 941 0
Funded by the European Union (EuropeAid)
Stefano Manservisí, European Commission:
“Your project is very important for us and its funding is part of the Commission’s broader support to Local Authorities to carry out actions contributing to an integrated sustainable urban development. In addition, its implementation will ensure a relevant input in the process for the SDGs’ achievement at local level.”